Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Standards Based Grading?

You may have heard from your student that, "Mr. Hammond isn't giving out grades anymore."

Is that true? Well ... sort of. Instead of giving traditional As, Bs, Cs, etc., I'll be using Standards-Based Assessment (SBA) reporting this semester in my reading and Social Studies classes.

There's a lot of confusion about SBA reporting vs. traditional grading systems - to help clear up some of this confusion, and to explain how this will work in my classroom, I'll be hosting a parent night this Thursday (February 4th) in my classroom at 6:30. I'm not sure how long we'll take - it depends on the number of parents and discussion that happen at the meeting. I hope to see you there!

In case you can't make it, or you want to get a head start, here's a short video helps explain one of the reasons that I'm moving away from traditional grading systems.


No comments:

Post a Comment